Total Pageviews

Pages

Friday 25 March 2011

Thanks to you all for your good wishes

Just a few lines to say how pleased I am to be back and be able to read all of your messages that were left on the WoodVale site during my recent Atlantic Ocean rowing trip. I am pleased to report that I enjoyed the experience although I would not be rushing to do it again with such a large crew. The differences of intentions of some of the rowers was only evident after some days at sea. Most of us were out to break a record, but at least four people were there to make an Ocean crossing and not interested in making the record come true.
That being said, we all realised that the boat could not reach the speeds needed to break the record anyway! For some reason or other, the boat did not go much faster than 7 knots at the very best! Much of the time we could only manage 3 knots. Only at the end did we manage to get her going flat out. That was mainly because of the trade winds and currents kicking in.

Back now with full time concentration on the London to Paris to London rowing Challenges. Our plans for the recce trip during June are pressing ahead in spite of my temporary absence, and I must express my thanks to the Rievers 12 crew for their constant understanding during my time away. I appreciate there have been times when communications were impossible and now I am back at the helm, my eye will be firmly on the ball!

I will try to thank all those of you that sent personal messages to me once I have finished reading them all.

Best wishes,
Roger G.
Atlantic Rower 1997 & 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment